Fish of month
Outer Hebrides Fisheries Trust 'catch & release' competition
Entry form - Go to this page
Fish of the Season winner 2019
The Outer Hebrides Fisheries Trust "Catch & Release" freshwater fish of the season competition is now into its 15th year and has proved to be a highly successful and popular event for both visiting and local anglers. Each season has produced many magnificent entries and 2019 was no exception.
The following are the winning monthly entries from which the judges had to choose the overall "Fish of the Season" winner:
April winner - Philip Blair with a 10lb salmon from Grimersta, Isle of Lewis
May winner - Stuart Busby with a 6lb-8oz brown trout from a North Uist machair loch
July winner - Robert Hawkins 6lb sea trout from Loch Fada, South Uist
August winner - Curtis Tatner with a 3lb-8oz brown trout from Loch Bornish, South Uist
All the above monthly winners were worthy of winning the 2019 "Fish of the Season" trophy which made choosing the overall winner very difficult due to the high standard of fish entered. However, there can be only one winner and the judges decided that Stuart Busby's magnificent 6lb-8oz brown trout was the "Fish of the Season" for 2019.
Congratulations Stuart for winning the "Catch & Release" fish of the season trophy for 2019 along with £425.00 worth of tackle vouchers. By winning the May monthly trophy and the "Fish of the Season", Stuart amassed a grand total of £500.00 worth of tackle vouchers.
We would like to thank all our supporters and sponsors that made this "Catch & Release" competition possible. Without their contributions this successful event would never have been established; Grimersta Estate, Lochs Diving Services Ltd, Soval Lodge, Sportsworld Ltd, Stag Bakeries Ltd and Stornoway Angling Association.
Robert Hawkins released this 6lb sea trout that he hooked on a Bibio in Loch Fada (South Uist) on July 17th
Catch and Release Competition - Rules:
1. The competition will run on a monthly basis from 15th March until 31st October.
2. All enteries must be on an official Outer Hebrides Fisheries Trust "Fish of the Month" entry form.
3. The competition is only open to salmon, sea trout and brown trout caught in the Outer Hebrides.
4. Fish may be caught by fly, spinner or bait.
5. All entries must be witnessed, submitted with photographic evidence and by the 2nd day of the following month at the latest.
6. All entries should be submitted directly to the Outer Hebrides Fisheries Trust (address below).
7. The monthly winner will be decided by a panel of 5 judges, their decision is final.
8. Prizes will be awarded as Fishing Tackle Vouchers and are not cash redeemable.
9. Each "Fish of the Month" winner will receive a £75 tackle voucher and a small trophy.
10. The "Fish of the Season" winner will receive a £425 tackle voucher and the main competition trophy.
11. Each "Fish of the Month" winner will be entered for the "Fish of the Season".
12. Winners will be notified by telephone.
13. The winner will have their photograph featured on the Fish Hebrides website and Facebook wall.
14. The competition is not open to any of the judges or their families.
Catch and Release guidelines:
Catch & Release is an important conservation measure for Fisheries. "An Anglers Guide to Catch & Release" provides simple and clear guidance for anglers who wish to return fish.
Download "An Anglers Guide to Catch & Release" here
Leaflets are also available from:
The Outer Hebrides Fisheries Trust
Isle of Lewis
Tel: 01851 703 434
Email: Email Us