Over 100,000 rod/days to choose from!
The catchment drains an area of approximately 42 km2; on the north-east coast of the Isle of Lewis. The Gress River is seven miles from its source at Loch Ghrias to the estuary at Gress sands. A spate river with an illustrious past the Gress river fish numbers followed a slow decline over the years culminating in the collapse of fish numbers nationally in the mid seventies.
The river is now under the stewardship of The Gress Angling Association who are attempting to manage the river back toward it's known habitat sustainable stocking density. Some improvement can be seen in the fish numbers and size but this is seen as early days in terms of the river's hopeful recovery.
Visitor’s day ticket:
Adult - £10
Junior (U-16) - £5
Season is June 1st - October 15th
Please select dates to view availability for this location
Due to Scottish Government legislation which classed this fishery in Category 3, Catch and Release is mandatory for all salmon/grilse caught. This is a follow on from the Spring conservation rules.
1. No Sunday fishing.
2. Anglers must carry their membership cards or permits while fishing. To be produced when requested.
3. Restriction of fishing to rod and line. Only one rod in use at any time per person.
4. Restriction of Bait fishing to daylight hours from Monday to Saturday within the period June 1st to 31st August inclusive.
Restriction of spinning to daylight hours from Monday to Saturday within the period June 1st to 31st August inclusive. Spinning permitted down stream of the Black (wooden) Bridge within the period June 1st to 15th October inclusive.
Restriction of fly fishing to daylight hours from Monday to Saturday within the period June 1st to October 15th inclusive.
5. All hen sea trout caught after 31st August to be released.
6. Members to submit an accurate record of catches to Catch Return Boxes or Sportsworld in Stornoway.
7. There is a mandatory bag limit of 2 sea trout. The Association encourages catch and release.
8. Boat fishing for Brown trout is available for members and permit holders on Loch Ullabhat.
9. Keys for Loch Ullabhat boats and equipment, plus rules for use are available at Macrae’s Garage, Back.
To book a Monday you must book before midnight on Sunday
To book a Tuesday you must book before midnight on Monday
To book a Wednesday you must book before midnight on Tuesday
To book a Thursday you must book before midnight on Wednesday
To book a Friday you must book before midnight on Thursday
To book a Saturday you must book before midnight on Friday
To book a Sunday you must book before midnight on Saturday
Boat fishing available
Pub (a short drive)