Country flags for UK, Spain, Germany, France, China and Italy Speedy Booker Partner Sites
Great news! We no longer charge a booking fee during the checkout process.
  1. England
  2. Cumbria
  3. River management

River Management


Anyone fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels within England or Wales must hold a Rod Licence.  These are available from post offices or on-line from the Environment Agency. For more information on buying a rod fishing licence, visit the UK.Gov website. 
Ensure that you have the relevant landowners permission before going onto private land and always check if any restrictions apply.

River conditions

On the river Eden and on all waters which are tributaries to, or connected with the River Eden during the period from and including the 16th june, to and including the 14th October following. No person fishing by rod and line is permitted to remove any live or dead Salmon. Any Salmon caught within this fishery must be returned to the water with the least possible injury.

From the 1st April to 30th Sepember no person fishing by rod and line is permitted to catch and kill more that two migratory trout.

Any person who has caught and killed two migratory trout in the circumstance may continue to fish for migratory trout provided that any others are released to the water with the least possible injury.

All female migratory trout must be returned with the least possible injury from 10th September to 30th September.

You need a rod fishing licence to fish for salmon, trout, freshwater fish, smelt or eel with a rod and line.

Further details on local by-laws can be found at  The Eden Rivers Trust do splendid work on the rivers and general Environment.

This website uses cookies. Click here to read our Privacy Policy.
If that’s okay with you, just keep browsing. CLOSE