Kirkby Stephen & DAA control 13 miles of fishing on the Cumbrian Eden upper reaches. Upstream of Kirby Stephen the River Eden runs briskly with fast glides and deep pools with the occasional longer smooth runs. Downstream of Kirby Stephen the river takes its time and flows through beautiful countryside. There is plenty of double bank fly fishing for the wild brown trout which can reach up to 5lbs in weight. However the fish are wild and a very careful approach is necessary if you want to succeed.
Weekly Tickets are also available for holiday breaks.
1. Popular wet & dry flies see below.
2. Rods with floating 5 or 6 weight line
3. Rods 8 foot 6' to 9 foot 6' are the most suitable & will cover the water
4. Thigh waders will cover most of the waters although chest waders are accepted.
5. The trout are wild, no stocking since 2002, therefore a stealthy approach to the river is required
- Waterhen bloa,
- Partridge and Orange
- Partridge and Yellow,
- Snipe and Purple,
- Hares Ear,
- Dark Watchett and varieties of Black Spiders
- Rough Olives,
- Pheasant Tail,
- Blue Winged Olive
- Ginger Quill
- Grey Duster and Sherry Spinner
- Black Gnats
- Copper tungsten beaded Pheasant Tail,
- Black and hare’s ear goldhead,
- Olive Nymph and Stonefly Imitations