Entry form - Go to this page
Brian Davis, fishing a Blue Muddler, hooked and released a fresh-run 11lb salmon on Loch Barvas during the evening of July 26th. Brian arrived at the loch in the early evening replacing his friend, Innes Campbell in the boat and promptly landed the heaviest salmon from the loch that day. However, Innes and his boat partner, Willie Mackenzie, had a "red Letter" day prior to Brian arriving; Hooking and releasing six salmon in the 4 - 8lb range. The fish were hooked on muddlers (4), Park Shrimp and Tigertail.
Amhuinnsuidhe Castle Estate's annual Junior Open Angling Event which was held on Saturday, July 1st, was won this year by 15 year old Rosie Sullivan. Rosie hooked a 4lb grilse in the Lady's Loch on the castle River system during the junior open day which she hooked on a spinning lure. Her ghillie (father), Mike, netted and released the fish. Rosie also landed a well-conditioned 2lb-8oz brown trout on worm the same day which helped her win the trophy for the event.
Winner:- Congratulations to Brian Davis who was judged to be the July "Catch & Release" Fish of the Month winner.
Regular visitors to South Uist, Steven Jowett and his dad, Paul, had an enjoyable visit during their June trip. Whilst fishing Loch Grogarry on June 12th, Steven hooked a stunning 4lb-8oz brown trout on a size 12 Kate Maclaren. The fish fought hard and was eventually netted by Atta Macdonald (Ghillie) prior to it's release. Paul and Steven also released another 15 brown trout for 12lb-8oz during three days fishing which included trout of 2lb (Loch West Ollay) and 2lb-8oz (Loch Stilligarry).
Stewart Carruth and his son Jamie (the 2016 Fish of the Season winner), had an enjoyable June week on the machair lochs of South Uist. During a visit to Loch West Ollay on June 9th Stewart hooked a beautifully marked 4lb brown trout on a Claret Hopper. The fish which was netted and weighed on digital scales by Colin Mackenzie (ghillie), was released after a quick photo. Stewart and Jamie also released another 32 brown trout for 25lb during three days fishing on lochs Hallan, Bornish and East Bi.
Winner:- Congratulations to Steven Jowett who was judges to be the June "Catch & Release" Fish of the Month winner.
Stuart Busby landed the fish of a lifetime during his annual visit to the brown trout lochs of North and South Uist. Whilst fishing a North Uist loch on May 26, he hooked a stunning 6lb-8oz brown trout on a size
10 Connemara Black. After a tenacious, acrobatic battle, the huge trout was netted and weighed in a weigh net before being photographed and quickly released.
Stuart and his dad, Keith, are regular visitors to the Uist's (they're on visit number 20) and although Stuart has caught more fish in previous years, his catch during this years May visit was well above average: six sea trout to 2lb-12oz from the Sea Pools; eight brown trout from Loch Bee, six of which were over 2lb, the best weighing 3lb and his solid 6 lb 8 oz brown trout entry for the competition, all of which were returned.
A days fishing on Loch Langabhat, headwaters of the Grimersta chain of lochs, produced an elusive spring salmon for visiting angler, Douglas Maclean from Lochailort. Ably ghillied by Robbie Bell, Douglas hooked a 9lb salmon whilst spinning with a copper ABU Toby lure on May 19th along the north shore of the "big loch". The fish was netted by Robbie, weighed, photographed and returned. Robbie himself also landed a 14lb cock salmon by the Yellow Stone on a spinning lure the same day which was also returned.
Winner:- Congratulations to Stuart Busby who was judged to be the May "Catch & Release" Fish of the Month winner.
Catch and Release Competition - Rules:
1. The competition will run on a monthly basis from 15th March until 31st October.
2. All enteries must be on an official Outer Hebrides Fisheries Trust "Fish of the Month" entry form.
3. The competition is only open to salmon, sea trout and brown trout caught in the Outer Hebrides.
4. Fish may be caught by fly, spinner or bait.
5. All entries must be witnessed, submitted with photographic evidence and by the 2nd day of the following month at the latest.
6. All entries may be submitted to Sportsworld or directly to the Outer Hebrides Fisheries Trust (address below).
7. The monthly winner will be decided by a panel of 5 judges, their decision is final.
8. Prizes will be awarded as Fishing Tackle Vouchers and are not cash redeemable.
9. Each "Fish of the Month" winner will receive a £75 tackle voucher and a small trophy.
10. The "Fish of the Season" winner will receive a £425 tackle voucher and the main competition trophy.
11. Each "Fish of the Month" winner will be entered for the "Fish of the Season".
12. Winners will be notified by telephone.
13. The winner will have their photograph featured in the Stornoway Gazette and Fishhebrides website. It will also be displayed in Sportsworld.
14. The competition is not open to any of the judges or their families.
Catch and Release guidelines:
Catch & Release is an important conservation measure for Fisheries. "An Anglers Guide to Catch & Release" provides simple and clear guidance for anglers who wish to return fish.
Download "An Anglers Guide to Catch & Release" here
Leaflets are also available from:
The Outer Hebrides Fisheries Trust
Isle of Lewis
Tel: 01851 703434
Brian Davis with an 11lb salmon from Loch Barvas (Lewis) on July 26th
15 year old Rosie Sullivan's 4lb salmon from Lady's Loch (Amhuinnsuidhe) on July 1st
A nice 4lb-8oz Loch Grogarry (South Uist) brown trout for Steven Jowett during June 12th
Stewart Carruth with a 4lb Loch West Ollay (South Uist) brown trout that he hooked during June 9th
A stunning 6lb-8oz brown trout hooked by Stuart Busby on a North Uist loch during May 26th
Douglas Maclean hooked this 9lb salmon whilst fishing Loch Langabhat (Lewis) during May 19th